An Initiative for Connecting Rising Star Employees of National Partners and Other Interested Leaders to Local Boys & Girls Clubs for Board Service and Impact
Strategy and Leading Principles
Each year, over 25,000 individuals dedicate their time and expertise to shape the future of Boys & Girls Clubs organizations through corporate and advisory board service. Board members provide the critical intellectual capital and strategic resources which deepens the impact on kids and strengthens local communities. In every community, boys and girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship in the streets. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult care or supervision. Boys & Girls Clubs offer that and more. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence. Boys & Girls Clubs are a safe place to learn and grow – all while having fun.
You could be one of those individuals:
- Who are committed to sharing their time and talents to help make the world a better place
- Who have specialized skills and expertise that could benefit a Boys & Girls Club board’s work and mission
- Who are willing to meet the criteria for service at the local club level which includes fund raising, committee service, and making a personal gift
- Who are willing to be enthusiastic advocates for an organization and encourage others to get involved
- Develop and grow as leaders and cultivate new skill sets
- Expand their network of peers, professionals, community leaders, and community thought leaders
Here are the four common questions to consider:
1. What type of experience is most fulfilling for you? Board service is a form of volunteerism that can have a huge impact on the organization, but if you think that your sense of personal fulfillment requires a more hands-on volunteer opportunity, you might want to inquire about direct-service volunteering opportunities in the organization instead of board service.
2. How much time are you willing to put into board work? Board members are legally required to fulfill their fiduciary duties, which will require you to devote a considerable amount of time to the organization. The amount of time varies greatly by organization, but simply planning to attend the board meetings is not sufficient. Board members must be willing to regularly review financial statements and meeting materials and many board members will need to prepare for and attend committee meetings in addition to board meetings.
3. Are you willing to collaborate with others on a regular basis or would you prefer to work alone? Boards are teams of committed and engaged individuals who work together to govern the organization. If you prefer to work alone, then board service may not be the right way for you to work with the organization. Consider providing pro bono professional services or direct-service volunteering as alternatives to board service.
4. Do you have the willingness and the ability to assist a Boys & Girls Club organization with fundraising? One of the primary responsibilities of the board is to ensure that the organization has adequate financial resources to carry out its mission. Many organizations have a fundraising policy for board members. These policies typically request board members to contribute personally. Commonly, these policies also stipulate that all board members participate in the organization’s fundraising effort in some fashion. Connections and introductions to donors, participation in fundraising events, personal notes on solicitation and thank-you letters, and direct solicitations are just a few of the ways in which board members can make a difference in terms of fundraising success. The amount of involvement in fundraising varies greatly by organization, but prior to serving on a board, make sure that you will be comfortable making a personal contribution and asking others to contribute to the organization.
After evaluating these four questions and you are ready and willing to serve on a board, please complete the requested information by clicking on the ‘’Call to Impact NOW” button below. We look forward to providing you an opportunity to serve in partnership with one of our 4,000 Boys & Girls Clubs who serve over 4 million kids.